July 23, 2021
Watermelon is a crowd-pleaser. The challenge is to have the watermelon remain uneaten until dinner time so I can make this salad. I usually have to buy two just to make sure.
I can extol the benefits of watermelon all day long. Hydrating, cooling a natural diuretic and high in vitamins C and A, this low-calorie fruit hits the spot on a hot summer day. Add in cucumbers, mint, basil, lime juice and olive oil, all to taste, and you have a winning watermelon salad treat. Take this salad on a picnic or have it with a BBQ, any way this salad is a welcome addition to any summer meal.
Ingredients (Serves 6):
5 cups fresh watermelon cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups cucumbers peeled and halved
1/4 cup fresh mint chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 limes juiced
Sea salt to taste
1. Feta cheese. If you want to stay dairy-free you can use Violife’s vegan feta
2. Red onion. This is great combined with feta.
3. Fennel. If you opt for this it is best when sliced very thin.
1. Prep the watermelon, cucumber, mint, and basil. Add them all to a large salad bowl.
2. Add lime juice, olive oil and salt
3. Mix well.
4. Taste. Add more salt or lime juice if needed. Stir again and serve!