Have you recently indulged in a holiday feast? Or perhaps you’re planning to? We want to help you feel your best during this holiday season, so we’re sharing our tried-and-true strategies for getting back on track toward your health and fitness goals while fully enjoying the festivities. After all, wouldn’t it be nice to still fit into your pants on New Year’s Eve?
Let’s walk through a holiday party scenario:
You’ve enjoyed yourself, tasted all kinds of yummy holiday treats, and you’ve just gotten home from the party. Recovery starts now!
Step 1: Hydrate!
Drinking purified water is one of the best ways to help your body flush out toxins. Drink at least 8 ounces of water before bed.
To pump up the hydration factor, we love adding liquid minerals to purified water, which also adds the electrolytes your body needs to recover.
Step 2: Take some Activated Charcoal
Delicious as they may be, sugar, gluten, dairy, not to mention food colorings and alcohol can all conspire against you the next day. Think puffiness, low energy, bloating, foggy thinking...sound familiar? Activated charcoal helps to absorb toxins in the digestive tract. Two capsules before bed.
Step 3: Sleep!
While we sleep, our body has time to detox, heal and reboot. Bonus points for getting to bed early the following night - 8 hours is the goal!
See our Hangover Prevention post for more before-bed tips to feel better in the morning!
You wake up the next day - it’s time to…
Step 4: Hydrate and alkalinize!
If you indulged the night before, you’re likely to be dehydrated and a bit acidic the morning after.
Start replenishing fluids first thing in the morning, and alkalinize with one of these concoctions:
- Enjoy warm water with a squeeze of lemon
- Try a shot of one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 3 ounces of water
- Warm dandelion tea supports liver detox and is a great addition to a“morning after” ritual
- Tri-Salts Powder is designed to neutralize increased acidity in the body - we love it because its sodium-free and a hypoallergenic source of calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
Step 5: Eat a healthy, balanced AND detoxifying breakfast!
Once you’re hydrated and alkaline, it’s time to bring blood sugar back into balance with protein-rich, alkaline breakfasts. Clear the slate by including a healthy fat — such as avocado, coconut oil, nuts, or egg yolks — to help bile acids clear out toxins. Enjoy one of our favorite breakfasts, with a side of green tea:
- “Detox shake” with a plant-based protein powder that supports liver function, like our vegan Daily Benefit Detox Powder (2 scoops), ¼ cup frozen berries, large handful of baby spinach, ½ avocado, and if you like chocolate, 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- Veggie scramble with avocado cooked in coconut oil
- Steel cut oatmeal with coconut oil, sliced or chopped almonds and walnuts, berries and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Two hard boiled eggs, sliced avocado, tomato and cucumber with a side of arugula
- Baby kale and shallots sauteed in avocado oil topped with one or two poached eggs
- Paleo granola with almond milk and blueberries
Step 6: Keep the hydration and alkalinization going throughout the day
- Have as many dark-green and non-starchy veggies as you can! Five to nine cups is the goal.
- Make an effort to include foods and beverages that support detoxification, such as: arugula, artichoke, asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, collard greens, kale, mustard greens, watercress, green tea, pomegranate, blueberries, onion, garlic, turmeric, and citrus.
- Keep drinking water, and add fresh lemon juice or sliced cucumber for more flavor and alkalinity.
Sip milk thistle tea or take milk thistle capsules.
Step 7: Get to bed early, and repeat!
Wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season, from all of us at The Morrison Center!