Sneaking veggies like kale and spinach into smoothies is nothing new, but Stephanie, a nutritionist here at the Morrison Center, recently shared her go-to breakfast—a nutrient dense smoothie that includes... broccoli! The combination of fiber rich vegetables, healthy fat and clean protein makes this a complete meal resulting in sustained energy. Plus, the addition of broccoli has a plethora of health benefits and the broccoli flavor is masked by the other ingredients so it tastes great.
To make this smoothie, Stephanie begins with a base of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a few ice cubes, chocolate protein powder, frozen broccoli, leafy greens, chia or flax seeds, and makes a game-time decision about fruit. Depending on your personal health goals, she recommends a date or ⅓ of a banana for added sweetness. If you’re looking for a lower glycemic fruit, frozen blueberries would also work well. However, if your a seasoned low-sugar smoothie drinker, you may not even need the fruit! After blending, you can add toppings like cacao nibs, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, cinnamon or a sprinkle of healthy granola.
In a blender:
- 3 ice cubes
- 6-8 oz unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup frozen organic cooked broccoli florets
- 2 cups organic dark leafy greens of choice (Stephanie uses spinach, kale, and dandelion greens)
- 1 serving chocolate protein powder — PlantFusion, Daily Benefit Active, and Ultra GI Replenish are all good options
- 1-2 tbsp chia or flax seeds
- Optional Sweetness: 1 organic date, ⅓ of a banana or ½ cup organic blueberries
- Optional Brain Boost: open up a capsule of Membrin into the smoothie for improved memory and focus
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Tag us in your broccoli smoothie re-make on instagram @morrisonhealth.
WE’VE GOT YOUR BACK
This guide was written by Dr. Morrison and the health and nutrition experts at The Morrison Center. Our team is dedicated to helping you achieve optimal health through the treatment and prevention of disease.
Dr. Jeffrey Morrison is an award-winning medical doctor, a leader in the field of Integrative Medicine, and champion of a nutritional approach to healthcare
Robin is a registered dietitian nutritionist specializing in Integrative Medicine, Functional Medicine and holistic healing modalities. She helps her clients address complicated conditions and return to wellness.
Stephanie is a Holistic Nutrition Consultant and Emotional Freedom Technique practitioner with a passion for helping her clients fulfill their potential through both emotional and physical optimization.